Saturday, May 14, 2016

Stacking the Shelves #59 - Catching Up

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by TYNGA'S REVIEWS that features the books we bought, borrowed, were gifted, and were given for review.
----------------

I've been so busy the past couple of weeks that I haven't had time to make a STS post even though I've been wracking up the books and bookish goodies.
So, let's go back 2-3 weeks when I received the April OwlCrate. Apparently, I never took pictures of the goodies (sorry, guys). I meant to write  up a review on it because I wasn't really thrilled with that box. The goodies were cheaply made. The bracelet clasp wouldn't close so I couldn't wear it, the coaster had printer ink streaks on it and is basically just a piece of paper not suitable for anything that might get liquid on it, and the magnet was super thin and the mockingjay was off center and didn't look good at all. I know I'm probably the only person that isn't raving about it.


Then I had to order some things off Amazon even though they suck changed the free shipping to purchases above $49!!! So I had to add a couple of things because I don't use the site enough right now to bother with Prime. 
I got my first Funko Pop. Yes, I know, I'm way behind the times here and to be honest I feel kind of dumb for not bothering with them for so long because they are adorable and it's not weird at all for an adult to have them, right?! I can pass them on to my daughter so it's totally okay! I like this version of Dumbledore because he's holding the Elder Wand. Now I really want Quidditch Harry.

I also got Alice's Wonderfilled Adventures: A Curious Coloring Book for Adults by Abigail Larson.
Abigail is my favorite modern artist. I've been following her for almost 15 years and absolutely adore every single little macabre drawing and doodle she has ever done. She draws a lot of my literary favorites such as Edgar Allan Poe and his characters, the Harry Potter characters, characters from The Night Circus, etc. I seriously want to live in her artwork. She's illustrated some book covers and has written and illustrated a few of her own but I've never had the funds to buy any of them so it was about time that I supported her in some way. 

For Mother's Day, my hubby picked me up 3 more adult coloring books. Maybe in the future when my one year old does more than just scribble on everything I can pull them out and color with her but until then they are just pretty additions to the shelves in my arts & crafts room. 

Then I bought some used books because when I'm sad or bored or just want to get out of the house I go to my local Key Center thrift store and browse the 8 shelves they have tucked into a corner of the store. I wish I had a book store to go to but alas, I'm stuck with just thrift stores and a book sale that takes place twice a year. I'd list them out for you all but I'm out of time! The rest will have to make it's way into next week's STS! 

Happy Reading! 

12 comments:

  1. Love the Harry potter and Doctor Who coloring books! How fun!! What a great Mother's day gift!! :) i'm going to have to look for those for my kiddoes (and me!) They look like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Harry potter and Doctor Who coloring books! How fun!! What a great Mother's day gift!! :) i'm going to have to look for those for my kiddoes (and me!) They look like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great haul! I love Funko Pops but I don't own any of them yet! I do like the Dumbledore ones the best, so that's probably what I would get first! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled with which to get first but Dumbledore is a wonderful character. :)

      Delete
  4. Sorry that your OwlBox was a dud this month. Unfortunately, very few of the ship internationally so I've never signed up for one.
    Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Funko Pops are so very cute. The OwlBox is sometimes a miss. I like your coloring books. They are a lot of fun to do.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice haul! Love a stack of books lol. And I don't have any Funkos either, although they are kinda cool. :) I didn't know amazon changed their shipping like that- interesting. I don't have Prime either but have been thinking about it- I don't know. I mostly buy ebooks now so the shipping doesn't really affect me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I love your coloring books! A great way to celebrate Mother's Day. ;) I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a fantastic weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, I got the Dr. Who and the Harry Potter coloring books for Mother's Day! Enjoy you stuff! STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite the coincidence! I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  9. Oh I am loving your Alice coloring book... I got one last week as well but I like yours better. I'm gonna check it out. Hope you enjoy!
    Bambi's StS and Recap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little on the dark and sketchy side but I absolutely love it!

      Delete