Tuesday, May 14, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY #3



Every Tuesday, The Broke and the Bookish hosts a meme called 'Top Ten Tuesday'
 
Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects
(abuse, suicide, grief etc or something personal hard for you)

 
Growing up, I believed I had a hard life. My parents were divorced, we lived in poverty, and things were overall just very unpleasant. My only escape was books. Books saved my life; especially books with 'tough subjects' that let me know that life could be harder than it already was. These books let me know that I didn't have life as hard as others had it. They were my little light in the darkness.
I read a lot of books like that as a teenager but I haven't read very many of them as an adult so I will try my best to remember at least some of them. 


 

 
Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
Drug use/drug abuse


 
Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber
Multiple personalities, abuse
(This is one of the most interesting psychological books I've ever read)
 
 

A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer
A TRUE STORY about child abuse
 
 

The Lost Boy by Dave Pelzer
Sequel to 'A Child Called It'
After escaping child abuse, Dave deals with the foster care system
There is a third book but I haven't read it
 
 

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
Death, Cancer, Nightmares
I just recently read this. Here's my review
 
 

Wither by Lauren DeStefano
Kidnapping, forced marriage, polygamy, rape
I recently read this. Here's my review
 
 

Heaven by V.C. Andrews
(The Casteel Family Series)
It's been over 10 yrs since I read these but these books broke my heart. Heaven deals with poverty, her father sells her to an evil woman, she never knows who her mother is and when she finds out it puts her on a roller coaster of heartache.

 
 
 
Flowers In The Attic by V.C. Andrews
(The Dollanger Family Series)
These books also broke my heart. The father dies and the mother takes them to live with the grandparents but they are ashamed of the children, who are products of incest, and lock them in attic. The grandmother is evil and poisons them.
 
 
 
Once again, 8 will have to do until I remember a couple more.













4 comments:

  1. Flowers In The Attic is such a disturbing read. I've recently bought Wither which I'm looking forward to starting as I've heard it's very intriguing. I'm glad books were able to be your little escape from your troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the entire Chemical Garden Trilogy (Wither) and guess I didn't consider it a difficult subject since I didn't perceive it as real. It definitely is a difficult subject for Rhine. Great choice. Here is my TTT: http://jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2013/05/top-ten-tuesday-books-dealing-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I included both Pelzer's books as well. Great reads.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you can relate so closely to issue novels :( I really can't, but I do appreciate them for opening my eyes and teaching me compassion for those who are suffering.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete